We’ve taken our FlytePacker packrafts on a few tours now, but still miss a way to attach our backpacks to the boat. Like a Dutch proverb says: “It’s better well cribbed, than badly designed by yourself.” So we took a good look at the competitor packrafts. A nice manual is available on www.packrafting.de, but here is our step-by-step guide:
1. Order the tie-downs and glue at www.packrafting-store.de.
2. Clean the boat where the glue will be put. Use alcohol and a cloth.
3. Mark the place of the tie-downs on the boat.
4. Mix the glue (Helaplast) and the hardener (RFE) and use a brush to put glue on the boat and on the tie-downs. Do not attach the tie-downs to the boat yet! We’ve used about 40 ml of glue for 8 tie-downs.
5. Wait for half an hour, the glue needs to dry.
6. Again use a brush to put glue on the boat and on the tie-downs. This time let it dry for 5 minutes!
7. Once the glue is dry, press the tie-down to the boat. Press from the middle of the tie-down to the outside to let the airbubbles out.
8. Heat the tie-downs with a hair-dryer to about 60C and use a roller to press the last air-bubbles out.
9. Done! Leave alone for 72 hours to dry at room temperature.
And this is the result with packs attached: